Information about me

Chicago, Illinois, United States
I have worked to improve professionals and international interaction centers since the mid-90s. I have worked with organizations to grow newly formed organizations to 300% their initial inflow of customers and support personnel and helped others reduce the life of open issues by 1/3. I have aided multiple start-up ventures through planning and initial phases of opening their doors. Occasionally, I work with individuals on improving their resumes, interviewing skills and professional presentation. I believe in a core principle that you should always be looking for the next rung above you and guiding somebody to make a change in their lives as they approach where you have been. Kaizen is the Japanese principle of continual improvement, I call mine ‘the next one up’.

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Work Travel and Parenthood

Traveling parents have options to make separation more comfortable and help build bonds that not every child will get to experience with their parent. Most importantly, do not allow yourself to slip into a dark void, make efforts to stay in touch and use new experiences to show you care about who they are. You can make travel for work exciting and educational with some prior planning and a little creativity. Finally, take advantage of the time away, take some time for yourself.

Stay in Touch
·       Skype and FaceTime are a favorite of just about everybody I talk to. Even as simple as a tour of the hotel room or trees outside the client site. A few minutes of visual time and maybe getting to show you homework that came home today can go a long way. Do not expect long conversations, but embrace them when you can. I was working in the hotel room on the east coast while I watched my son play with Legos in his Midwest bedroom, twenty minutes of Skype, maybe thirty words were said, we were two happy people.
·       Encourage age appropriate children to text while you are away. You can let them know you thought of them between meetings or a client watches the TV should they watch.
Make it a Game
·       ‘How many minutes did it take me?’ – My kids are early elementary age so math is great fun. Call, have them note the time, hang up, go through security at airport, call them back… how long did it take? They may enjoy figuring out the answer, and you will realize you really were not in that line FOREVER.
·       Get a map – Have them look at a map and see where you are headed, at, or came home from. I know some people continue to mark a paper map, we use a magnetic puzzle map to keep the memories short-term and post the state on the fridge for regular reference.
·       Share pictures – Take a few as you go about my day (e.g. interesting water dispenser, sunset, huge appetizer, hotel pools and exercise rooms) and give your child a cheap digital camera to share their activities as well. When you return they will love telling you about what was going on when they took twenty-eight pictures of their thumb and the carpet.
What to Avoid
·       Special nights BECAUSE you are gone – Grandma taking the little one to the movies each time or the nanny letting them invite the neighborhood over casts a negative perspective on your return.
·       Buying gifts while traveling – ‘I saw this and thought of you’ is great for a few dollars but avoid the stuffed bear so big it needs a plane ticket, they will only expect you to top it yourself next trip.
·       ‘I don’t want to but I have to go’ – I make every effort to let my son know I am choosing to make this trip. Yes I will miss him, but this is part of the important things I do to help people, the same important things that help us enjoy our lives and the same important things that leave us alone when we go camping together.
Why it’s Good for You
·       A little me time – Even if it is just an hour eating out at a restaurant quietly, enjoying food nobody else in your house likes/would try or relaxing on a hotel bed actually paying attention to Sport Center(or NHL Tonight). Remember you are an individual, as well as a parent and employee.
·       New = Happy – Marriott did a survey and found going new places, meeting new people and eating new food left people feeling happy.
·       Boost your confidence – Traversing the United terminals at O’hare is an art, just as finding a great park to go running in or convincing the rental counter you should get an upgrade. You can do that and more with ease on this trip, and at home.

No comments: