Information about me

Chicago, Illinois, United States
I have worked to improve professionals and international interaction centers since the mid-90s. I have worked with organizations to grow newly formed organizations to 300% their initial inflow of customers and support personnel and helped others reduce the life of open issues by 1/3. I have aided multiple start-up ventures through planning and initial phases of opening their doors. Occasionally, I work with individuals on improving their resumes, interviewing skills and professional presentation. I believe in a core principle that you should always be looking for the next rung above you and guiding somebody to make a change in their lives as they approach where you have been. Kaizen is the Japanese principle of continual improvement, I call mine ‘the next one up’.

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

Teach, Learn, Build Relationships at Work

Did you know there is somebody in your office that likes to collect gems, play the kazoo and ride a unicycle? There may be.

In the age of a mobile workforce, globally distributed teams and 'stay in your lane' organizations it is all that more important that we develop a persona/image within the organization.  (I HATE that phrase by the way and it deserves it's own conversation.)  Take an interest you have, discuss it amongst the people you talk to every day, it isn't important if you are the best, you are building a learning group here.

Why is this important?

Companies are product factories.  You take the information they have, use your smarts on them, create product, rinse repeat. For human enjoyment  (read: better work environment) we need to interact, build relationships and look forward to conversations beyond 'nice weather', and 'how is your work going?'.  When I am in the office/city with a few people that share my interest, I send them an email, come see them at their location and we talk about our topic and a little work.  This is networking for the sake of sanity.

OK, but what are good ideas?

I am the worst guitar player in our company potentially, but I talk to a group of guitar players weekly about what they are studying.   I know something about investing, but I have learned plenty from people I am talking 401k investing with, and researching topics so I can teach others.  Right now I am communicating around my new found passion for motorcycles and before that it was cycling.  I find people that are into both and want to talk to me about these passions as well.  Spending your day hearing about data can put you in a trance, break that up with a bit of a conversation about an upcoming ride and your day became much more interesting.  These become your driving conversation starter for coffee, lunch or a quick break.

Sample ideas:

investing/401k, fishing, knitting, brewing, cycling, motorcycles, musical instrument, computer building, foreign language.

I have discussed with HR departments about forming groups within the organization and have found most are OK with it as long as you avoid a few things.

  • Don't use company funds for anything involved (buying them all lunch)
  • Hold meetings / discussions on non-work impacting time (e.g. lunch or after work)
  • Keep them aware of any HR relevant concerns that may happen during these events.
  • Make it clear to those attending 'This is NOT a company sponsored/involved gathering.'
We want examples.

Figured you would...

  1. Guitars - There are about five of us in my company who talk weekly about guitars, current lessons we are working on and equipment.  This is more of a relationship builder and a motivator to keep picking up the guitar that sits in the corner of the room that may otherwise be collecting dust. 
    1. What I get from it - Motivation to keep practicing and people to bounce ideas off of in an interest to keep learning.  My life schedule doesn't allow for a weekly lesson schedule with a teacher.
    2. What others get from it - Everybody likes to teach and show other how to do things.  Not to mention, it is great to find a group member that understands the passion for just picking up a stick & strings and making something flow from it.
  2. 401k & Mutual Fund Investing - We have an email group that talks weekly on topics and meets monthly for lunch to decide topcis for the coming month.  We also offer a competitive environment where we track % change year-to-date to give a motivation to stay aware of your position and see where you relate to others.
    1. What I get from it - I learn more about the topics I already know and am motivated to keep on top of my investment portfolio.  I have learned a few new topics as well that I was not aware of.
    2. What others get from it - First, same as myself, they get the motivation to continue keeping on top of their 401k investments.  Second, they are learning to get better knowledge about something they have little experience about it. Third, people learn they are not alone in knowing just a little about this thing people say drives your future so much.


So there are some limitations, right?

Don't be afraid to be different, but do avoid trying to form the 'Left Handed, Left Leaning Financial Investors Club' or 'Bondage Fanatics Play Group' at work, they just cause to much exposure and are opposing topics.

Basically anything that is politically dividing or emotionally polarizing should be avoided, you don't need that kind of turbulence in your life or work environment.  While on the topic, don't allow gossip, conspiring or poor performance to be part of these topic groups.  There is no place for 'Did you hear about the blowout Manager X and Director Y had?', that is not part of your topic and not productive to a professional team.

No comments: